Financial aid


Further Information

  • Rent assistance
  • Guide to dealing with Centrelink


Centrelink can be contacted in the following ways:

Opening hours for Centrelink are 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.

The UWA Student Guild can also help members with Centrelink enquiries.


Austudy is the income support payment for students aged 25 years and over undertaking qualifying study.


To be eligible for this scheme you should be:

  • an Australian resident
  • a full-time student or new apprentice
  • aged 25 and over.


Full details of Austudy and online application can be found the Human Services website. Alternatively you can visit your local Centrelink office to collect an information booklet.

If you are claiming for the first time, your Austudy payment starts from the date you lodge your claim for payment or the date your course commences, whichever is later. It is important you lodge your application as soon as possible as there is no backdating of payments on late applications.

If you are eligible for Austudy you may also be entitled to Rent Assistance.

You should be aware that some scholarship funds are treated as income by Centrelink. If you are in receipt of Centrelink benefits, it is important to advise Centrelink of any scholarship payments you may be awarded. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your Centrelink benefits and/or penalties being applied by Centrelink.