Financial aid

Youth Allowance

Further Information

  • Rent assistance
  • Guide to dealing with Centrelink



Centrelink can be contacted in the following ways:

Opening hours for Centrelink are 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.

The UWA Student Guild can also help members with Centrelink enquiries.

Youth Allowance is a payment designed to assist full-time students and new apprentices aged 16-24 or those temporarily incapacitated for study.


To be eligible for this scheme you should be:

  • an Australian resident
  • a full-time student or new apprentice
  • aged between 16 and 24.

If you turn 25 you can continue receiving Youth Allowance until you finish your course or apprenticeship.

To be eligible for Youth Allowance you must be undertaking at least 75 per cent of a normal full-time study load for that course. If your course is a semester based course you must meet the 75 per cent rule each semester. You cannot "average" your study load across the full academic year. There are a few exceptions to the "75 per cent rule" - you can check these exceptions with Centrelink.


Information about Youth Allowance and the online application can be found on the Human Services website. Alternatively you can visit your local Centrelink office to collect an information booklet.

If you are claiming a benefit for the first time, your payments will start from the date you lodge your claim for the payment or the date your course commences, whichever is later. It is important you lodge your application as soon as possible as there is no backdating of payments on late applications.

If you are eligible for Youth Allowance you may also be entitled to Rent Assistance.

You should be aware that some scholarship funds are treated as income by Centrelink. If you are in receipt of Centrelink benefits, it is important to advise Centrelink of any scholarship payments you may be awarded. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your Centrelink benefits and/or penalties being applied by Centrelink.